Rosacea and sensitive skin
Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory skin condition that causes the breakdown of collagen. It tends to affect women more than men, and is more common in fair skin people, however that’s not to say that it doesn’t affect darker skin types. It makes the skin feel hot, tender, sensitive and irritated, and unfortunately there are lots of factors that contribute.
The triggers can be sun, temperature extremes, spicy food, alcohol, stress, just to name a few.
Rosacea is complex and chronic, caused, in the main by an impaired barrier function. The role of the skin barrier is to keep water in and irritants out...in other words it prevents the penetration of harmful substances and excessive transepidermal water loss. Its key for skin health and it’s a physical, immunological and chemical barrier.
Medical Grade Skincare
Obagi Gentle Cleanser contains glycerin, oat amino acids and aloe gel, Obagi Hydrate contains hydromanil, shea, mango butter, avocado and glycerine. Obagi Sun Shield Matte 50 contains zinc oxide 10.5%, octinoxate 7.5% and homosalate 10%. I always recommend mineral SPF's for anyone with sensitive skins, as they reflect the UV rays like a mirror rather than absorb sunlight and dispense it as heat. Finding an SPF that patients are happy with can be tricky..My TOP TIP is mineral SPF's only and knowing whats works best for you is my job!
The Retinol ladder
After 2/4weeks I tend to try to introduce a VitaminA product. I'm always there to guide patients and be accessible to them so as to gain compliance. I generally advice a retinol ladder..that means starting on a low percentage and introducing retinol gradually into their skin care routine. Products of choice may be the 0.5% retinol by Obagi or the seriously great AlphaRet by SkinBetter Science.
How about a topical antioxidant?
Patients with rosacea can struggle with vitamin C serum so it’s important to know which products to use.. here at the Medished by initial product of choice is the Alto Defense Serum by SkinBetter Science which an awesome antioxidant that can be used twice a day and is clinically proven to reduce the appearance of redness in the skin.
ZO SKINHEALTH RANGE
Key products from this range would a Gentle Cleanser and Calming Toner to help cleanse and normalise the PH of the skin. One of my absolute hero products Daily Power Defense contains time-released retinol, antioxidants and specialised DNA-repairing enzymes which work around the clock to help minimise UV oxidative damage and uneven pigmentation. It also helps to restore skin function and elasticity while stimulating collagen production to help diminish fine lines and wrinkles. Its a fantastic product for treating rosacea!
Another brilliant product is Rozatrol which is a daily treatment serum for rosacea featuring a breakthrough combination of ingredients. Rozatrol is clinically proven to minimize visible skin symptoms including red, sensitized skin, facial flushing, and visible blood vessels. Finally a mineral SPF is essential and my favourite from this range is the Sunscreen and Primer SPF 30 which doubles up as a makeup primer and SPF in one.
This is just a snapshot of what products we can use however consulting appropriately is key to success.
Why choose DrDil?
• I am an experienced cosmetic dentist with over twenty four years of expertise, now specialising in non-surgical facial rejuvenation. Patient safety is central to my practice
• I combine my excellent understanding of facial anatomy and medical knowledge with an artistic eye. My skill lies in assessing your features and proportions and creating the right treatment approach based on your individual needs and concerns
• I specialise in high quality, expert-led skincare and non-invasive “tweakments” to restore beauty and revive inner wellbeing
• Reputation is one of my core values, which means no time-limited treatment offers, proper cooling-off periods for treatment consideration and full aftercare and support
• I am known for my discreet, natural approach – I believe that when treatments are done well, you get that well-rested, glowing appearance which others can’t help but compliment!